Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin


Rarely There

A collection of discourses - myriad, profound, uplifting...
Bah! Who am I kidding?!
It is just a blog.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Can't Stand It 2.0

Not many technical terms have elicited such a strong fingernails-on-chalkboard response in me so far like the term "Web 2.0".

Offering user-centric web services, seamlessly integrating data from various sources (alright, so, I hate the term 'mash-ups' as well), providing richer generalized set of APIs... sounds perfect. Now when browser-compatibility issues are solved as well, wouldn't all our lives be just peachy?

OK, so I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. See, the point is, I love Web Tech. I ought to, since I work with it and happen to enjoy my work. But, I have physical revulsion bordering on self-destructive tendencies every time I hear the term "Web 2.0".

Nicholas Carr's article has given some semblance of relief to this strange affliction. But, could potentially start another rash on me about Semantic Web.

Alluding to Markoff's piece, here is an excerpt from Carr's article that sets things up:

Web 3.0 will be about mining "meaning," rather than just data, from the web by using software to discover associations among far-flung bits of information:

the Holy Grail for developers of the semantic Web is to build a system that can give a reasonable and complete response to a simple question like: “I’m looking for a warm place to vacation and I have a budget of $3,000. Oh, and I have an 11-year-old child.” Under today’s system, such a query can lead to hours of sifting — through lists of flights, hotel, car rentals — and the options are often at odds with one another. Under Web 3.0, the same search would ideally call up a complete vacation package that was planned as meticulously as if it had been assembled by a human travel agent.

Some very smart people have said a lot on the subject of Web 2.0.

I just wanted to vent a bit. Phew! There! It's Done! I feel much better now.

I think I can get back to finishing the delightful Bartimaeus trilogy that I mentioned a while back.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older