Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin


Rarely There

A collection of discourses - myriad, profound, uplifting...
Bah! Who am I kidding?!
It is just a blog.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Sewing: Fancy Hemline Skirt, Ruffle Strap Summer Tops


My mom, after making those fancy satin cushions, decided to use the same smocking-ish pattern for a skirt for Ana when we recently visited her.

It is gorgeous, of course!

Ana wanted her Pattee (grandma, my mom) to make a long flowing princess dress with that pattern for the chest, much like old-fashioned smocked dresses. But, lack of time made my mom put that on hold.

My mom used up the leftover tealish green fabric from this skirt to make a simple tops for Ana. Just ruffled shoulder straps and asymmetric cut.

Shocked by the price of thread here, my mom decided not to match thread with fabric and chose to use whatever she had handy. Pretty much the same policy I have when I sew.


Looks like it has been a long time since I updated this blog. Of course, as this corner of mine is just for sharing sewing/crochet/knitting/crafting/books, sometimes there is nothing much to write about until ongoing projects are finished.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Kay said...

gorgeous!! I should have know that a top with the same embroidery is coming..

9:00 PM  
Blogger Sheela said...

Thanks, Kay!! Even though Amma showed me how to do it, I think I don't have the patience to attempt it by myself at this time; the big thing is calculating how much extra fabric we need for the finished size to be right and marking the rows of dots to get this smocking effect... someday...

9:48 AM  
Blogger Kara said...

Is this a tutorial or just a picture? I would love to see the tutorial on this, but clicking on the title doesn't do anything. This is ADORABLE!

1:21 PM  
Blogger Sheela said...

Kara, Thanks! Sorry, not a tutorial, just pictures here; am not sure I can make a good enough tutorial to show this - basically much like vintage smocking - mark rows of dots and hand-sew, but unlike tight smocking, this uses a slightly different criss-cross pattern.

9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older