Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin


Rarely There

A collection of discourses - myriad, profound, uplifting...
Bah! Who am I kidding?!
It is just a blog.

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Sewing: Up-cycled dresses for girls from adult tunics (kurtas, kurtis)

A few of my old tunics from India - kurtas and kurtis and kameez - were collecting cobweb as I don't fancy those colors or patterns anymore, opting for a more sober brown/black/navy palette for my everyday wear as well as work wear.

They were perfect candidates for up-cycling into little girls' dresses. The colors which were my rejects just happen to be my daughter's favorites. So, when my mom visited lasted year, she turned these old one-size-fits all adult kurtas/kurtis (tunics) of mine to a few dresses for the little girl by chopping and trimming and adding her unique style.

I love how each turned out differently!

Flowing halter-tie maxi dress - the tiny lilac calico print is the main attraction



Calf-length tie-back dress from a really old kameez my mom gave up wearing.



A similar one from another old kurta- a lilac print that I used to like... makes a really nice tie back free flow dress.


Skirt and tops set made from a large kameez that I never wore often enough to warrant keeping.


Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Kay said...

Not sure if my previous comment on this post came through..

I love those dresses.... Very whimsical and dreamy!!! Your mom is very creative like you, Sheela... Errr let me rephrase ... I can guess where your creative genes came from ... You must have had a beautiful childhood where creativity was encouraged, nurtured and cherished..

5:55 PM  
Blogger Sheela said...

So good to hear from you, Kay! Thanks for those sweet words! Hope baby is doing well and M is a wonderful older sister :)

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older