Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin


Rarely There

A collection of discourses - myriad, profound, uplifting...
Bah! Who am I kidding?!
It is just a blog.

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Sewing: Simple Crinkle Cotton Summer Dress with Asymmetrical Hem

Sewing: Simple Crinkle Cott0n Summer Dress with Asymmetrical Hem

I guess the title says it all. On the wee hours of one morning, just past midnight, having tried for most part of the night to get Oggie to sleep and failed, I gave up and lay there in the dark, thinking of something new to sew for Ana, among other thoughts that bounced around in my head almost causing a headache. And this design just popped into my head. It is so simple, yet quite elegantly casual :)

The pocket made with this lovely print fabric, plus the button on opposite shoulder, as well as the asymmetrical hem makes this one of my favorite designs. The fit and flow makes it Ana's favorite, I gather.

As always, this is a made-up pattern. I rarely do many clothes of the same design - unless they are lounge pants or t-shirts or leggings. The primary motivation for my sewing is to flex the creative side and come up with simple enough design that I can handle. Nothing too intricate. Nothing so complex that it gets stressful, among all the other things I have to do. Something that gives me joy to have finished the project and makes my heart leap when I see it on my little girl.

Since we are on a budget, I can rarely splurge on designer textiles I like. The added challenge of using the fairly inexpensive fabrics I have stocked up on, and deciding on the optimal way to cut the available fabric to minimize wastage and have just enough to complete the project makes it worthwhile for me. This crinkle cotton fabric was on sale for a dollar a yard and I used just short of a yard for this dress.




Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Praba Ram said...

I left the comment that should have gone here, in the blue petticoat hem summer dress post. :)
anyways - i am all muddled up now. will email you! :)

7:06 AM  
Blogger Sheela said...

Thanks, P, I am happy that you took the time to leave me a note in the middle of packing for your vacation!

12:51 PM  
Blogger RumahQurani place for islamic parenting tips said...

hi sheela, love this blog completely!
thanks for many child craft ideas.. definitely needed for me n my child

currently i was designing and planning to sew a kutobaru kebaya for my girl, but because i am so amateur in sewing, i will make base it from this summer dress and make several addition here n there to make it a touch of kebaya.

the kain/saroong will be batik skirt, i still thinking attaching it to the upper mini dress or just separated it like the way it should be.

just hope everything turn right -i still have to buy some lace n beadings- n ill show you how its done later..

4:00 PM  
Blogger Sheela said...

RumahQurani:: Thank You. I look forward to seeing the kotobaru kebaya you sewed!

5:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi can u pls suggest some activities to engage my 2 yr old daughter..we are in south india

11:24 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

Dang- I think you should get an award for the most economical dress! Fabulous girl!

3:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older