Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin


Rarely There

A collection of discourses - myriad, profound, uplifting...
Bah! Who am I kidding?!
It is just a blog.

Friday, May 21, 2010

Sewing: Patchwork Baby Quilt

indian patchwork baby quilt from old sarees saris and blouses

I try not to get too attached to material things - helps me recycle as needed and reduce clutter... However, there are a few things of such high sentimental value that I can't bring myself to part with them - especially things hand-made with love and good wishes.

My most cherished of all Ana's baby things is this little patchwork quilt my mom made for Ana. It is pieced together with my mom's old sarees and blouses.

The front, back, and inside are cut from old blouses and sarees, mostly cotton, some cotton-mix. Front is block-pieced randomly, no specific pattern or color theme. Back is fairly simple. A full-length saree folded down makes the batting.

Now, Oggie uses it. This is more of a spring/summer quilt, soft and warm enough, but, not heavy-duty warmth required for the winters here.

I hope the fabric doesn't deteriorate too much over time... I know nothing is permanent, and am prepared to steel myself... it would pain me too much to see this fall apart... I was there watching my mom sew this, refusing any help, stating this is her gift for her granddaughter and I cannot offer any input except watch and admire the progress. She just brushes it off when I call her these days to tell her how much I love it and use it.


indian patchwork baby quilt from old sarees saris and blouses

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Choxbox said...

WOW. This is priceless Sheels.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Sheela said...

Thanks, Choxie, we concur on that point :)

11:09 AM  
Blogger Caca said...

I like the feel of the texture of different fabrics.

12:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older