Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin


Rarely There

A collection of discourses - myriad, profound, uplifting...
Bah! Who am I kidding?!
It is just a blog.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

valentine-a-gram

be my valentineD is not a romantic. Not by any stretch of my imagination. He is very creative, very practical, very smart, even very sweet at times, but, not very romantic.

I could drop hints all over the place for an affordable yet brilliant gift that would sweep me off my feet and he would still be clueless. I adore him, nonetheless.

It's a good thing he doesn't read my blogs - wouldn't want to dispel the myth about his self-proclaimed romantic nature...

So, this Valentine's Day, just like all others so far, I am not expecting anything from him.

Unfortunately, I am a bit practical as well.

So, we punch out the numbers for the month and feel, "Oh well, flowers die out in a week anyway why waste money that can be spent on food and bills; candy and chocolate go right to the waistline and thighs, and I should be on a diet-of-sorts anyway..."

Besides, we both typically refer to valentine merchandise like teddy bears, heart pillows and such as Valentine Kitsch in an attempt to avoid becoming gullible consumers.

Of course, that doesn't stop me from crocheting a heart-shaped coaster or sewing a big heart-shaped placemat and pink napkins with organza accents :)

Not sure how I stand on Valentine's Day in general these days... Every day should be special to show your loved ones you care. I used to reject it as a made-up holiday as I didn't have any conclusive history on its origin that I could relate to and celebrate.

Setting all that aside, here is an option I came across as worth considering this year: Valentine-a-gram by Loaves and Fishes Centers, The Meals-on-Wheels People.

It's a worthy cause. I'll have to find out if they would deliver valentine-a-grams to where D works. He'd be too embarrassed to receive it at work I am sure... We'll see...

And then again, maybe D will read this blog soon and decide to order one for me. Ha! That would happen when it snows in Madras, India!

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Julie Q. said...

My husband is the same way. He's too practical to buy flowers that wiltor silly bears. But as I get older I tend to agree with him more. Last year we bought each other a new rug for the living room.

4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older