Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin


Rarely There

A collection of discourses - myriad, profound, uplifting...
Bah! Who am I kidding?!
It is just a blog.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

crochet: hat and scarf

hat-scarf-1


This pink-and-lilac hat and scarf set is for a cute little 4-yr old girl who happens to be the precious little daughter of my friend from high school days.

I liked the crochet stitch on the scarf, I liked the texture and beauty it projected. I have a small crochet book of textured stitches like bobbles, popcorn, seed stitch and so forth... and I picked a stitch from this book which appears complex but is in fact quite simple to do.

The hat has a bit of stretch built into it so it can be used for a few years as the child grows. I added some ribbing to the hat edge as well. The hat pattern is sort of made-up in the sense that I have worked on several hat patterns and I just combined a few ideas from a couple of free patterns I had come across.

Now, hats can be either made from crown to the forehead edge, or the other way. Some of the baby hats I prefer to start at the crown and increase in rounds till I feel it might fit an infant's head. But for little girls and adults, I try to start with a ribbing at the forehead edge and work up to the crown.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you have the pattern to this scarf? If so, please email it to me at griffin@jsu.edu

6:44 AM  
Blogger Sheela said...

Sorry, I sort of made up the pattern, so don't have anything to send you... the scarf is straightforward - start with stitch count that would determine the width of the scarf - say start with 60-80 chains, then keep adding length to the scarf as you do each row, alternating colors.

The hat - if I make a few more this winter, I'll try to post my pattern.

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older