Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin


Rarely There

A collection of discourses - myriad, profound, uplifting...
Bah! Who am I kidding?!
It is just a blog.

Thursday, January 3, 2008

Crochet: Toddler Girlie Sweater and Hat Set

toddler-crochet-designer-set-3


Ana happens to love purples these days for some reason. Be it gummy bear or any fruit snack, she picks the purple ones first. So, it was no surprise that when we went yarn-shopping, Ana pointed to this lovely lilac/lavender and said "Amma make sweater for Ana", just like that! And when I reminded her to ask nicely, I couldn't resist her sweet "Amma make sweater for Ana, please?" So here it is.

This pattern is original. I made it up as I went along and had a lot of fun just experimenting and being creative. It is worked yoke to hem, in one piece, and then sleeves are picked up at armhole and worked through.

The yoke is an extrapolation of the style I use for baby sacques - just sized it to fit Ana, approximately toddler 3T. At the end of the yoke I started shaping the bust to waist, allowing for some eyelets to string a sash through. Then, started increasing into a simple ruffle pattern down to hemline. A simple picot edging all around seemed like a good idea as well.
toddler-crochet-designer-set-2


Now, the sleeves was fun too: I picked up at the armhole where the yoke left off and worked in rounds decreasing a bit gradually to elbows and increasing it again to flare a bit at the wrist to have the sort of girlie bell-shaped sleeves.

Ana wanted pockets, so, I added it on in the end. And, I had enough yarn leftover to make a matching hat. I couldn't resist adding the pink picot edging and the flower detail, of course :)

Now, I am not good at writing down precise patterns for crocheting, so, I don't think I will ever get this pattern printed/published. And, the next time I make it, I will perhaps not be able to replicate it to exact detail, but, that's OK.

Playing around with general shaping and tailoring it to fit Ana was the most fun part of this crochet project anyway :)

All in all, a fun original project.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Anamika:The Sugarcrafter said...

Nice blog content. Glad to have passed by.
Greetings to you from Botswana.

2:57 AM  
Blogger Rajani said...

sheela, you are soooo talented!!!!when did you start knitting?? I think its fantastic - ! no one i know knits anymore. i used to love trying my hand when I was in school and mymum used to knit our sweaters!! that was so long ago - i love everything you've posted!

9:06 PM  
Blogger Sheela said...

::Anamika:: Thanks! Love the sweet things you make - it's an art!

::Ranjani:: Thanks (*blushes a bit*)! I started to knit in middle school - "extra curricular activity", and crochet in college, thanks to my friend and room-mate then.

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older