Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin


Rarely There

A collection of discourses - myriad, profound, uplifting...
Bah! Who am I kidding?!
It is just a blog.

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day!

happy mother's day
My dear Amma,

As you dropped me off at Amerimna Nursery School that was just down the street, I would panic that you wouldn't come back for me... but, you always came and took me back home.

I am not sure why though... had you known what an angry teenager I would turn out to be, I am sure the thought would have crossed your mind to just leave me there and not look back... Nah! You are far too kind and loving to even think that...

When you were brushing me with Neem leaves and reading to me about Jean Valjean during my bout of Chicken Pox, my 12-year-old mind could not have fathomed the struggles you were undergoing to bring us up (with Appa's help, of course) - full time teaching, housework, evening classes to earn your M.Sc., then your M.Ed., - studying, grading, staying late for drama practice and extra-curricular activities for your class children, sometimes staying extra late to help some kids prepare for the Board Exams...

Reluctantly accompanying you on Navarathri and Deepavali shopping sprees, enthusiastically arranging the Bommai Kolu every year, responsibly chopping vegetables and acting as your sous chef right from age 7 or 8, eagerly assisting you in various crafts and sewing projects... I have always tried to impress you hoping you'd like me better than your school kids...

I have always had to share you with a zillion other kids and I feared I was not as important to you... now I know better!

Amma, I have nothing much to say this Mother's Day that I haven't already told you... your prayers and blessings are the only reason I am alive and living my life today as best as I can. Thank You!!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Sheela,

Beautiful and heartful post . Even before this post , I knew how much influence aunty had on you . You are strong and talented person just like your mom.

Happy Mother's day to you both :).

-CS

5:31 PM  
Blogger Sheela said...

Happy Mother's Day to you too, Charu!! Howz the little one doing? Will catch up via email as usual... get plenty of rest now.

1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older