Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin


Rarely There

A collection of discourses - myriad, profound, uplifting...
Bah! Who am I kidding?!
It is just a blog.

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Crochet: Baby Sleep Sack

crochet sleep sack pattern

Sleep sacks are a neat alternative to blankets in winter-time, especially for infants who are not too busy rolling around in their cribs, or trying to crawl around a lot within the confines of their bed.

I had sewed a few fleece sleep-sacks for Ana when she was little as I was paranoid about blankets accidentally suffocating her - especially when she started sleeping alone in her crib.

Now that Oggie is at a stage where he needs to sleep by himself in his crib, and likes to pull his blanket over his face somehow even if I wrap it around him to prevent that, I figured it is time to get a few sleep sacks ready for him for this winter.

crochet sleep sack pattern This is a made-up sleep-sack pattern that I crocheted a while back for Oggie. Basically, it starts out as a sweater from neck down and then instead of stopping at sweater length, I extended it all the way down to accommodate a 32-inch long baby, with room to spare. Oggie is not yet 32 inches so am sure I can get enough mileage out of this till next winter.

The sleep sack opens at the bottom and down the front so it is easy to get on and off. It is held together with large buttons down the front and at the bottom, large enough that it cannot be easily swallowed by tiny mouths should they manage to rip it in their sleep.

As long as he doesn't roll around too much in it, I am sure it gives enough freedom of movement at bedtime. Also, the stitches are not too dense and so it seems quite airy and breathable. Naturally, he will be wearing his fleece winter jammies underneath so this sleep sack is only an extra layer...

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Dale said...

:-) Looks very comfy.

8:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sheela ,

Lovely one. I have been buying the sleeping sack for NR but he is growing out of it so fast, so bought some butterick pattern to sew on for him .

NR doesn't want to wear normal cap since he was 4 wks old. He would turn head continuously and with 22nd turn , the cap will come out his head (yes, Me ,my sister and my niece used to count this and used to hav e bet everyday : ).
I wanted to sew a winter cap for him but due to my health and lack of time I'dbeen postponing it. But this week , found a time to do this and all it took me was just 20minutes .

CS

11:18 PM  
Blogger Kimmie said...

That is so cute...did you make the pattern up yourself.

I enjoyed peaking around at all your sewing projects. I am a newbie to sewing and want to try some baby outfits. (we are expecting (adoption) a 7 month old from Ethiopia soon!)

Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted

2:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hello,

Nice job, I have a little baby and I want special dress for my baby. actually I love baby sleep . So cute!!!


Thanks

8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older