Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin


Rarely There

A collection of discourses - myriad, profound, uplifting...
Bah! Who am I kidding?!
It is just a blog.

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Crochet: Baby Blanket and Sewing: Swaddle Blanket



For a friend's baby expected in August I wanted to make something rustic and useful, something that is unique... and so I crocheted a baby blanket with soft acrylic yarn, and sewed a swaddle blanket in soft cotton flannel print.

Of course, the crochet yarn blanket won't be needed until late Fall, but the swaddle blanket might be handy for the first few weeks...



I thought about granny square afghan like I've made before, but, decided to use an attractive tight stitch in colorful stripes, making a unique pattern. As usual, a made-up pattern - just followed a (sc,ch2,2dc) cluster repeated throughout, changing yarn at the end of rows as needed.



The swaddle blanket is not an original design. At first, I was leaning towards swaddlers like the ones I made for Oggie, but found a nicer design on the web which has a simple tie to keep the "baby burrito" from unraveling.

My daughter's friend Enid (cabbage patch doll) volunteered to help demonstrate the swaddle blanket's utility.


All that was left to do was wrap up the yarn blanket in the swaddle blanket and give it to the expectant mother. I was so happy to do these projects. There is something magical and joyful about making baby things, just thinking about the new baby, how the family dynamics changes and how one grows as a human being...



Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Swaddle said...

Looks cute! This would make a great baby shower gift.

10:06 PM  
Blogger Choxbox said...

Sigh, the beautiful things you create Sheels (that would also include your little people)

10:57 AM  
Blogger Sheela said...

Mrs.Swaddle: Thanks!

Choxie:: Can't take credit for my little ones, but thanks for the beautiful sigh :)

1:05 PM  
Anonymous Jane said...

Great work! I love the colors! Wow! I love making one soon but I just don't know how to create blankets . Thanks for sharing your work.

11:14 AM  
Blogger Dee said...

lovely! can feel the warmth :)

7:18 AM  
Blogger Sheela said...

@Jane: Thanks.

@Dee: Thank you :)

8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older