Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin


Rarely There

A collection of discourses - myriad, profound, uplifting...
Bah! Who am I kidding?!
It is just a blog.

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Sewing: Black Silk Brocade Dress



I used to scoff at the cliched "Little Black Dress", never having owned one despite black being my favorite color. 


But now that I've made a few black dresses for my daughter, it seems so elegant and versatile, dressed up or down.

When I found this piece of black silk brocade fabric in the Fabric Remnants section at my favorite fabric store, marked down so that the 0.85 yards cost me about $2.50, I knew it had this dress written all over it.

I made up the pattern: the front looks like a nice high neck dress; the back has these elegant straps; simple A-line cut; with matching hair-band which doubles as a fancy collar.

I wish I had drafted up a pattern on paper - I love this design and might want to make a few more... Oh well. Have to rediscover the wheel next time the inspiration hits, I suppose...

A turtleneck shirt underneath plus tights makes this a cozy winter outfit; a long sleeved bolero or shrug over it for nippy late fall and early spring; as-is for an overcast summer day (of which we have many)... this dress is quite versatile.


Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger ranjani.sathish said...

It is so beautiful Sheela ! Is it Ana wearing it ? What a lovely fit it is !!

2:26 AM  
Blogger Sheela said...

Thanks, Ranjani! Yes, it is Ana wearing it! It was nice to have her nearby so I can pin up the cut fabric and fit it on her before doing the final seams :)

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older