Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin


Rarely There

A collection of discourses - myriad, profound, uplifting...
Bah! Who am I kidding?!
It is just a blog.

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Vintage-style Shopping Lists

turn into delightfully appealing typographic art at Shopping Losts

While GIMP is nothing to be sneezed at, the tool is only as good as the wielder and I am more of a paper-and-pencil artist dipping my toe in the Digital Art ocean, dreaming of all the magic Photoshop will let me create...

If I had the luxury (read money and time) of taking lessons now for pure pleasure, among the many things I'd like to learn, digital art, graphic design, photographic tricks and tips would be somewhere in the top 12.

Of course, I've toyed with the idea of just buying the software and teaching myself with all the lovely tutorials online, but the current budget doesn't allow for such frivolous spending as the $300 or so it would cost to buy the topnotch software... and even if we somehow managed to splurge, it is just an indulgence of mine, not a career enhancer, besides, where would I find the time between job and kids to teach myself anything?!

I keep going back to the Little Box of Dreams as Erma Bombeck so beautifully put it. My box has gotten bottomed out and replenished a few times, but with fewer and fewer items as time goes by... I guess the day it decides to remain empty is the day to pack up and leave...

There are people who put their dreams in a little box and say, "Yes, I've got dreams, of course I've got dreams." Then they put the box away and bring it out once in awhile to look in it, and yep, they're still there.
—Erma Bombeck

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Dale said...

Check out Inkscape -- vector drawing freeware. It's a lot more fun, I think, than Gimp. Play with the star shape stuff for a while, and you can get lovely effects!

10:35 PM  
Blogger Sheela said...

Thanks, Dale! Will check it out and maybe post an update one of these days...

10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older