Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin


Rarely There

A collection of discourses - myriad, profound, uplifting...
Bah! Who am I kidding?!
It is just a blog.

Monday, March 12, 2007

pomplemousse

citrus fruit pamplemousse pomplemousse grapefruit shaddock
Over the last few years, I have become a big consumer of grapefruit.

The main attraction for me is the health benefits: low in sodium, high in potassium, high in pectin, high in beta carotene, high in lycopene, high in vitamin C among other things.

Plus, they provide enough bulk to aid bowel movement. (No, really, don't laugh: when on a good regimen of maintaining healthy weight, b.m. is quite important).

When i was little, i was introduced to grapefruit as orange's cousin, known locally as "bubbly-maas", which, i can only venture to guess, is an adaptation of the French word for grapefruit: pomplemousse.

Apparently the largest citrus fruit, the pummello (or pomelo) fruit pictured here is certainly a luxury for me at the price it is usually sold... but, i decided to splurge this time, knowing that one fruit would make a sumptuous meal for 2 adults and a toddler easily, with maybe a bite leftover for tomorrow's snack:)

Just for perspective, the little one next to the pummello in the picture is a regular grapefruit:-)

I had pummello for the first time in my life back in 2003. I love its mild flavor. But, I love its texture even more. There's a lot of white pith that need to be peeled away before getting to the good part, and it is worth the effort:-)

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Scribbit said...

I've never had a pummelo but have loved grapefruit forever, maybe it's time I tried one.

My grandpa taught me to eat them peeled sprinkled with salt.

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older